Upholstery is the work of providing your furniture with a new look; it is a soft padded textile that is fixed to furniture like sofas and chairs. Upholstery also means adding fitted padded coverings to furniture items. Upholstery is also used interchangeably for fabric used for covering on furniture. Upholstery gives our sofas and chairs a brand new look.
It helps our sofas and chairs turn into a softer and comfortable item. Upholstery is not something confined to new custom made furniture. You can also go for upgrading your sofa through this procedure – the procedure is known as re-upholstery. Time has changed, so do our needs and demands. Simple custom made sofas with cotton fabric and simple padding do not work now. Upholstery is also in the process of innovation since the beginning; we may find the use of basic clothes but with lots of more addition. Now upholstery doesn’t mean dull, leather or linen additions. It has spread to the vast range like foam, cotton and synthetic fabrics. Every type of material leaves an impact on the quality and durability of the sofa. And also every material carries its share of benefits and drawbacks.
Here I have arranged a list of types of upholstery according to its fabric and material. That can be useful to choose between what’s best for you and your furniture.
Leather upholstery always comes at the top of the list. It is not only graceful; it is also natural and durable. Some of its benefits are:
- Champion of all eras: Leather never turns old; it goes with every decorating theme and concept. A modern house is a perfect match for leather upholstery as I can be for some traditional set home.
- Stain resistance: Leather is natural stain resistant no stain stays on it. But in case any stain is left take a damp cloth and rub on a particular place. The stain will vanish in seconds.
- Durable and scratch-free: Distressed leather is excellent with sofas and chairs around the house with pets, as it may easily mask scratches from their paws.
Velvet upholstery is an excellent fabric for upholstery, beautiful colors of velvet always enlighten the place. Few of its benefits are:
- Velvet always gives a soft touch feeling and cozy inside. It is an excellent fabric for upholstery in modern houses.
- Velvet provides you with a vast range of colors; it can reflect light beautifully in the room and match with the décor theme of the room.
- It fits everywhere at your house. Being a luxury fabric, it works fantastically in the library and sitting rooms or big suits in hotels.
Linen upholstery is one of the most popular upholstery used in the residential sector. It is a mixture of synthetic and natural material and holds many benefits like:
- Durable: Linen is a durable material. It comes with natural moth resistance, and colors do not fade quickly, as they may in other types.
- A vast range of colors is available in it that makes it a favorite choice for everyone.
- Linen is among the least expensive fabric used for upholstery.
- It works best in-formal sitting and dining rooms. It shines more with lesser use.
Cotton upholstery is generally in most use everywhere in the world. Cotton is always known as the fabric of living for a reason. It is not the only basic fabric of our dress; it is quite useful in upholstery too, for instance:
- Durable: Cotton is the most durable fabric. It doesn’t fade quickly and is resistant to wear and tear too.
- Colors and designs: Cotton is available in a vast range of natural and dyed colors which make it go with every type of sofa.
- Comfortable: Cotton is sturdy, yet comfortable and breathable:
- Economical Choice: Cotton fabric is available in different grades that make it quite an economical choice. You may buy a grade according to your budget with good quality.
There are several types of upholstery available in the market; each has its perks and cons and sometimes specific use too. Before you go and make some decisions, it’s better to do some research on them and select what’s best fits your needs.